Delicious baked salmon in orange and white wine sauce, served with tenderstem broccoli on parsnip puree.
Sauce can be prepared in advance as it takes a while to achieve the desired consistency. All you need to do is to reduce the orange juice and white wine mixture to 100 ml. Use fresh and smooth orange juice. If it’s got bits in it, you’ll need to strain it first. Orange segments need to be added to the sauce at the final stage of cooking otherwise they might get a bit soggy.
We fried our salmon in butter until it got golden then we baked it in an oven.
For the puree, use small parsnips, bigger parsnips are stringy which might give the puree unpleasant texture. Serve with boiled tenderstem broccoli, decorated with thinly sliced chives. Enjoy!
- 2 salmon fillets (125 g each)
- 500 ml orange juice (smooth)
- 200 ml dry white wine
- 1 orange, peeled, segments separated
- 600 g parsnip, peeled
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp milk
- ½ bunch of chives, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp clarified butter
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 300 g tenderstem broccoli to serve
- sea salt
- Slice the parsnips into smaller pieces and boil until very soft.
- Place them in a food processor, add the butter and milk, season with a pinch of salt and whizz until smooth.
- Season the salmon with the lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Leave it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the sauce in advance. Mix the orange juice with the wine in a small saucepan.
- Reduce the mixture over a high heat to 100 ml, until thick, sweet and aromatic.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C
- Heat the clarified butter in a frying pan. Fry the salmon over a medium - high heat for 3 - 4 minutes on each side, until slightly golden.
- Transfer the salmon into an ovenproof dish and put it into the oven for 10 - 12 minutes until salmon is cooked throughout.
- Meanwhile reheat the sauce over a low heat add orange segments and simmer for 2 minutes until hot.
- Remove the salmon from the oven, place a generous dollop of the mash on each plate, arrange the salmon on top of the mash, spoon the sauce over and place orange segments on top.
- Scatter chopped chives all over the plate.
- Serve with steamed or boiled tenderstem broccoli.