Chilli con carne
Chilli con carne with diced lean beef, kidney beans, cumin, coriander, cocoa, celery, fennel seeds and cinnamon.
The name comes from spanish. The chilli stands for chilli peppers and carne for meat. We used diced, lean beef rather than the beef mince. It requires longer cooking but the result is worth it. Kidney beans (soaked overnight) gives this dish much nicer texture than the tinned option. When in season it’s best to use fresh tomatoes. They need to be peeled, seeds removed and chopped. Otherwise it’s safe to use tinned ones. We cooked this chilli for 2.5 hours in the oven, but cooking time may vary, depending on the beef quality and maturity. The beef should be really soft when cooked.
Serve decorated with fresh coriander accompanied by guacamole and tortilla chips. Enjoy.
- 500 g lean diced beef
- 400 g chopped tomatoes (1 tin)
- 400 ml beef stock
- 250 g red kidney beans (soaked overnight)
- 3 celery sticks, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves only, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp crushed red chillies
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh coriander to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish, add the onion, garlic, and celery sticks, soften for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add the beef, cumin, coriander, paprika, chillies, fennel seeds, cocoa and cinnamon and cook, stirring from time to time for 6 - 8 minutes until the beef has browned and spices are aromatic.
- Pour in the stock, add the tomatoes, oregano, bay leaves and soaked kidney beans and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and put the dish into the oven for 2 - 2.5 hours (depending on beef quality), until the beef is perfectly cooked and very soft. Check every half an hour if there is enough liquid and add some water if necessary. Stir couple of times while checking.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the tomato paste.
- Divide into serving plates, serve with tortilla chips and guacamole decorated with fresh coriander leaves.