Very easy to prepare, delicious, buttery in texture fruit cake with mixed fruit, tangy lime icing and mixed peel.
This cake is one of the easiest to bake and there is literary no chance that the process could go wrong. All you need to do is add all the ingredients (one by one) to your food processor’s bowl and mix them together. It’s important to coat the dried fruits in flour otherwise they may not distribute properly or even move down to the bottom of the cake.
We baked our cake in a 25 x 12 cm loaf tin, lined with baking parchment. Remember not to over bake the cake, it will loose its buttery texture. 65 minutes in oven should be more than enough. Usually we check the cake with a skewer after an hour.
To prepare the icing we mixed a glass of icing sugar with 2 spoons of hot water and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
This cake tastes best 2 – 3 days after baking. Keep it in room temperature, covered with a dome. Enjoy!
- 350 g mixed dried fruit
- 400 g plain flour
- 150 g caster sugar
- 200 g unsalted butter, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 75 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 2 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 250 g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp mixed peel
- Mix the dried fruit with 1 table spoon of flour to coat them thoroughly.
- Place the butter and sugar in a food processor’s bowl and mix them on a medium - low setting until light and fluffy.
- Continue mixing and add the eggs, one by one. When mixed in start adding, spoon by spoon, the flour mixed with baking sugar. Mix until combined, then pour in the milk and both extracts and mix for 30 more seconds.
- Dip in the coated fruit and mix it all gently with a spoon. In the meantime preheat the oven to 165°C.
- Transfer the dough into a loaf tin lined with baking parchment. Put the tin into the oven and bake for 65 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Prepare the icing by mixing the icing sugar with lime juice and hot water. The icing needs to be quite thick. Add some more sugar if necessary. Spread the icing on top of the cake, decorate with mixed peel.
- The cake tastes best 2 - 3 days after baking.