Stuffed chicken breasts
Delicate chicken breast stuffed with capers, currants, breadcrumbs, parmesan and walnuts, wrapped in prosciutto and simmered in red wine and balsamic vinegar.
To prepare this dish use medium – sized chicken breasts, around 200 g each. First, prepare the stuffing; in a large bowl mix together breadcrumbs, egg, currants, chopped walnuts, grated parmesan, chopped parsley and grated lemon zest. Then prepare the chicken, make an incision on one side of each chicken breast, open it, stuff it with the mixture and wrap it in prosciutto ham, then simmer it in red whine and balsamic vinegar with a tiny bit of sugar. It’s a great way to cook chicken breasts. It’s really easy. They taste great and look even better.
Serve them with boiled baby potatoes and tenderstem broccoli. Delicious!
- 70 g fresh breadcrumb
- 1 tbsp dried currants (soaked in hot water)
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 egg
- ½ bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1 tbsp walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 200 ml red wine
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- baby potatoes and broccoli to serve
- Mix all the stuffing ingredients in a large mixing bowl until combined.
- Make an incision on the side of each chicken breast and butterfly it open.
- Place the stuffing on one half of the chicken breast, cover it with the other half and roll up tightly.
- Place the chicken breast in the middle of two prosciutto slices and cover the top with the sides of the prosciutto (they should overlap). Secure it with two cocktail sticks or a kitchen thread.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan or a small casserole dish, add the chicken wraps and cook for 2 - 3 minutes on each side until slightly browned.
- Pour in the stock and the wine, add the balsamic vinegar and sugar, stir to dissolve the sugar, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, then uncover and cook for 5 more minutes over a medium - high heat to reduce the sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, cut it in half diagonally.
- Spoon the sauce onto a serving plate and arrange the chicken on top. Serve with boiled baby potatoes and tenderstem broccoli.